The Destination Imagination Program Overview
Destination Imagination (DI) is an educational program in which
student teams solve open-ended Challenges and present their solutions at
tournaments. Teams are tested to think on their feet, work together and
devise original solutions that satisfy the requirements of the
Challenges. Participants gain more than just basic knowledge
and skills—they learn to unleash their imaginations and take unique
approaches to problem solving.
• Have fun!
• Learn critical and creative thinking skills.
• Learn and apply creative problem solving method and tools.
• Develop teamwork, collaboration and leadership skill
• Nurture research and inquiry skills, involving both creative exploration and attention to detail.
• Learn and apply written and verbal communication and presentation skills (both impromptu and sustained).
• Promote the recognition, use, and development of many and varied strengths and talents.
• Encourage competence in, enthusiasm for, and commitment to real-life problem solving
• Young people of similar age work on teams of up to 7 members over an 8-12 week period.
• Experiential Education is employed to effectively engage participants in learning.
• No Interference is allowed from anyone outside of the team.
• Adult Team Managers act as facilitators to a team.
• Team Manager training is provided by experienced trainers in all Affiliates.
• Problem solving skills are cultivated by using tools.
• Creativity is fostered by Team and Instant Challenges that are open ended.
• Individual and team strengths are promoted by Team Choice Elements based on Multiple Intelligence Theory.
• Instant Challenges engage participants in rapid-fire critical thinking.
• Team Challenges engage participants in sustained problem solving.
• Tournaments are a celebration of what the team has accomplished and the process learned.
• Solutions are evaluated, and Reward Points are a component of Team and Instant Challenges.
• Appraisers are trained to reward the process that the team has experienced.
• Tournament Data Forms provide opportunity for teams to culminate their experience.
• Special Awards are given for exceptional creativity, teamwork and innovation.
• At the end of the Destination Imagination season, teams have an active reflection time.